What is Mandatory Training?
Mandatory Training is training that is required either:
- by law
- where a statutory body has instructed that training is provided on the basis of specific legislation
- determined as mandatory by NHSBT
All employees will be required to complete Corporate mandatory training. Some roles will also have Role Specific mandatory training to complete. These will be allocated on your mandatory training account.
How do I access / complete Mandatory Training
If you are an NHSBT employee you will need to complete any on-line mandatory training on the My ESR portal. If you have forgotten your password you can request a reset password via the My ESR login page. For more information on this use our Login to ESR guidance document.
You will also be able to view your compliance status to see if training is completed or due for renewal.
If you are working at NHSBT but employed by an agency or you are a contractor, you will access the training identified for your role on Shine Academy. You will also be able to view your compliance status to see if training is completed or due for renewal. Your manager will need to submit a Shine Academy account request form in order for an account to be created for you
This presentation will help you access, select, launch & use mandatory learning via the Blood Donation Teams iPad, an NHSBT device and/or any personal device.
There are a few common issues with training not being updated in MyESR, for support on this use our Guidance document for supporting with issues with Mandatory Training in ESR on how to ensure your training is updated.
How do I report on Mandatory Training
Managers will be able to access their team’s mandatory training records in MyESR. For support on how to access and run reports in ESR please view;
- Access ESR Reporting module - provides guidance on how to access ESR Reporting (called Business Intelligence or BI). It also provides details on how to download Compliance for your teams. This is as an alternative to accessing the details via the Manager Dashboard.
- Mandatory Training overdue or date due for refresher report – guidance on how to run reports for mandatory training overdue or date due information.
New Starter Mandatory Training
New Starters will be required to attend some face to face mandatory training. All new starters need to complete:
- Fire Awareness Mandatory Training - Links to training offered by the Health, Safety and Wellbeing Department
- Personal Development Plan (PDP) - Links to information on PDP and PDPR
Role Specific training is allocated onto an individuals account and is determined by job role:
- Leading and Influencing Health, Safety and Wellbeing - Links to training offered by the Health, Safety and Wellbeing Department
- Manual Handling - 1/2/3 yearly requirement * - Links to training offered by the Health, Safety and Wellbeing Department
- Blue Light Driver Training*
- Fork Lift Truck Driver Training*
- Conflict Resolution – Patient and Donor Facing*
- Safeguarding Level 3 / 4*
- Safe Use of Cryogenic Gases Links to training offered by the Health, Safety and Wellbeing Department
- Adult Basic Life Support*
*These courses will be organised locally by your manager.
Face to Face Mandatory Training
To enable face to face mandatory training to be recorded, a course attendance training log needs to be completed and returned. The completed course attendance training log needs to be returned to contact HR Direct. Please ensure all the information completed on the form is legible. This will ensure the compliance is recorded correctly.
Mandatory Training Policy, FAQ's and Guidance
Mandatory Training Policy - Details of NHSBT's mandatory training policies and procedures
Mandatory Training FAQ's - Frequently asked questions regarding Mandatory Training
How to access current Face to Face Mandatory Training - Information on how to access Face to Face training during Covid19
Shine Academy new account request - This form should be used to request a Shine Academy Account for a new starter/agency worker or to re-instate an account for Retiree returning to work.