Agency and Contract Workers
Agency/Contract Workers are engaged to work for NHSBT via an employment Agency and are not on our payroll. Placements should normally be for a period of 3 months or less to cover a short term need or whilst recruiting to a post and only when all other possible solutions have been exhausted.
You should first consider:
- Could you reallocate duties and rosters to cover requirement from internal resource such as part-time staff?
- Could you offer additional responsibilities to someone with capacity particularly if this might offer development opportunities
- How long do the duties/role need to be covered for? If this is for 6 months or more have you attempted to fill this through the usual recruitment process?
You are responsible for managing the booking and selection processes. Agency/ Contract Workers must be booked through the preferred routes and the agency to contact will depend on the category of staff. Visit the relevant pages below:
- Managers and Specialist Contractors page (Band 7 and above)
- Admin, Clerical and Operational page (up to and including admin and clerical band 6)
- Qualified Scientists page (including SHTOs, Biomedical and Clinical Scientists)
How to book an agency/ contract worker is detailed under each category.
Note: NHSBT deems all contractors are inside of IR35.
The HMRC tool can be used to confirm this status - https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-employment-status-for-tax/setup
For any appeals against this treatment please supply a completed copy of the HMRC check of employment status and any additional information required to - email@example.com.
Note: resourcing temporary Donor Carers and Nurses and on-boarding all types of contracts within these roles across Blood Donation has changed. Please refer to the Resourcing & Onboarding – Blood Collections page for the most up to date information.