Selling Annual leave
The January 2023 sell annual leave dates are now available - see below for further details.
I want to know ..
|Date application window opens||Date application needs to be submitted by||Line / Budget Manager approvals by||Confirmation of payments to employees by||Final withdrawal date by employee||Salary month payment will be made in||Date updates made in Nextra/EASY|
|CLOSED||18th September 2022 - CLOSED||25th September 2022 - CLOSED||21st October 2022 - CLOSED||28th October 2022||November 2022||30th November 2022|
|3rd January 2023||22nd January 2023||29th January 2023||23rd February 2023||3rd March 2023||March 2023||17th March 2023|
You can sell up to 37.5 hours (pro rata for part-time employees) in total during the 2022/23 leave year. If you have bought leave in 2022/23, you will not be able to sell it during this window.
If you want to request to sell leave for the 2022/23 window follow the process below:
- Discuss and agree your annual leave requirements with your manager. They need to approve any application you submit
- Read the 'Buy and Sell Annual Leave Arrangements' before applying, along with the 'Buy and Sell Annual Leave Frequently Asked Questions'
- Complete and save the Selling Annual Leave Calculator to estimate the payment amount (calculator will be available on 3rd January 2023 ). See table below for support on what payslips and salary to use to complete your calculator
- Complete the selling annual leave request form* (form will be available on 3rd January 2023) and attach the Calculator estimate spreadsheet. Note. you only need to add your salary in the 'Current full time annual salary' field. Do not add it in the Allowance section.
- Submit by the deadline date outlined above for the relevant application window
- Your request will then go to your Line Manager and Budget Manager for review and approval or rejection
- You will receive an automated email update when your Line Manager and then your Budget Manager has approved / rejected your request
- All approved requests will be reviewed and you will receive confirmation of the payment you will receive before the date outlined above
- You then have a week to withdraw your request if you have changed your mind by contacting HR Direct
*You must be connected to the NHSBT network in order to access the request form.
You must be connected to the NHSBT network in order to access the calculator and request form. Therefore if you are having problems downloading the form use the Issues with the Buy/Sell Leave form guidance on how to access the form.
If you are on a non-standard working week (e.g. more than 37.5 hours or pro rata) contact HR Direct and log your interest, they will then organise with the relevant team to get your request processed.
Below are the details of the salary and payslips to use on you Selling Annual Leave calculator. You only need to add your salary in the 'Current full time annual salary' field. Do not add it in the Allowance section.
Please complete the sell annual leave calculation with the values showing on your relevant payslip. When the calculation is checked by Pay Support, the values will be increased with the Pay Award effective from 1st April 2022. When the calculation is confirmed to you, there will be an additional entry called ‘April Pay Award’ which will show the percentage uplifted value.
|Date application window opens||Salary date to use for calculator||Payslips dates to be used for variable salary details on calculator||Salary month payment will be made in||Updates made in Nextra/EASY|
|5th September 2022||August 2022||May 2022 to July 2022||November 2022||30th November 2022|
|January 2023||December 2022||September 2022 to November 2022||March 2023||17th March 2023|
Note: The payment will be made in a one-off lump sum in your salary and will be subject to Tax and National Insurance (NI).
If your leave year runs from the anniversary of your start date you will still need to request to sell annual leave during one of the sell leave window, which ever one is the first to open after the anniversary of your start date.
The deadline for all approvals (Line Manger and Budget Manager) for the September sell leave window is Sunday, 25th September 2022 and for the January window it will be Sunday, 29th January 2023.
Once an application is submitted by your employee you will receive an email from 'NHSBT Notification'. The Subject title will be ‘ACTION REQUIRED: Selling Annual Leave Approval Request’. A reminder email will be sent out every 24 hours until the request is approved or rejected.
- Review the email - this will detail the request your employee has submitted
- Discuss and agree with your employees their request
- Approve or reject their request using the 'approve' or 'reject' links on the email
Note: requests will also be subject to final NHSBT review before confirmation of whether any request can be fulfilled in full, or in part.
If you have any employees currently absent due to coronavirus, sickness, career break, external secondment, maternity, maternity support or parental leave who will be returning during the 2022/23 leave year you will need to provide them with the details of the scheme. If they wish to apply but aren't able to access the form, please contact HR Direct.